Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rider Fitness

This is not my favorite topic. I know that the better shape I am in the better rider I will be. That being said I often lack the commitment and dedication to exercise regularly. This year that is more apparent than ever!

Last year I got this crazy idea that my roommate and I should run a half-marathon, which was 13.1 miles of rain and cold wind (running in wet tennis shoes for almost three hours is not fun! I ended up saying good bye to several toenails). So the point of this is, when I started riding again last spring I was in pretty good shape. Plus I had my maintenance job with the park service to help keep me in shape.

Now this year is a different story! I have not spent my winter running and cross-training with bike riding and yoga. So when I was in the saddle for the first time in months, or rather after I got out of the saddle I was in pain. My thighs protested in every movement. I also do not have my physical labor job this summer to help me gain some physical fitness.

So I decided that I needed to come up with a plan to improve my fitness level. I have decided to break my bike out and log some serious mileage that way (I would run but that is harder on my knees and my half-marathon experience reaffirmed my hatred of running). I also plan to do some Pilates and yoga to help strengthen muscles as well as work on flexibility.

To help me with these goals I purchased a Pilates book provide me with some exercises. I decided on "Pilates For Equestrians" I really like it so far it has a lot of good information on the benefits of Pilates in strengthening core muscle groups used or riding. It also has very clear photos of what the different positions look like (although I do wish there was a DVD so I could see the movements).       












But since Notch's fitness is also very important (and I didn't want him to miss out on the fun :) he got a book too!! "Equine Fitness: A conditioning Program of Exercises and Routines for Your Horse" It has a nice selection of exercises to do with your horse, I already new most of the ones that were in the book but it is nice having them all in one place.













Well now I suppose I should get off the computer and do something productive!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, boy....I am in pathetic shape. Being middle-aged and never really exercising has taken it's tole on me. I do think about doing exercises...and then I sit down and wait for the thought to go away. ;-) You will have to let us know how Notch likes the conditioning program outlined in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know how the book works out for us. And I completely understand your thoughts on exercise it takes every bit of my motivation to get myself to do it!

      Delete
  2. I haven't ridden in two-point much, so in preparation for show season I took my first Spin class this morning! Wow, was that intense! (I have the same knee problems as it sounds like you do, so no running for me). I have gotten some equine fitness books, but they pretty much all seem to be about developing your core and back muscles, and then stretching... nothing entirely novel or unique. What I would like to know is how to reduce knee pain from riding in short stirrups in a jumping saddle?

    Great to find your blog! (from Hay-net), and congrats on graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to your blog, but this topic is one I am often thinking about! I have the second book, I like it. I am trying to get in shape too, but it seems to not be working out as well as I'd like. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I really enjoy reading you blog and you are a great writer. I would love it if you would consider writing a guest post for my blog! Its an equestrian lifestyle blog centered around warmbloods and the sporting disciplines. Check it out and if you are interested shoot me an email at rachel@thewarmbloodhorse.com

    ReplyDelete